Monday, February 11, 2008

Grammys

anyone catch the Grammy Awards last night? Some good performances..

here is a clip of Beyonce & Tina Turner doing "Proud Mary" - pretty cool to see Tina out there doing her thang... she has got to be at least 70 years old and looks and moves great. I am a big fan of stuff like this - mixing contemporary artists with old stars. If you ask me, Ike & Tina Turner's song "River Deep, Mountain High" is one of the most underrated oldies songs out there - Phil Spector wrote and produced it, and he was at his Wall of Sound best.



here is Kayne West's performance of his song "Hey Mama" - now I know Kanye gets a bad rap for his persona out there, but I thought this song was poignant, we know his mother died this year from surgery complications. I dunno, his performance got to me anyway, maybe because I lost my own mother and this weekend would have been her birthday.


here is how the show opened: a "duet" with Frank Sinatra & Alicia Keys. Just contrived stuff, I wasn't a fan. Been done before, and better. Alicia should have just done some standards without digitally adding the Chairman, I know they were trying to pay tribute to the 50th Anniversary of the Grammys.

No comments: